I almost wish I’d completed Loremaster prior to the Shattering, but I know it was a much bigger challenge since you weren’t sure what quests hadn’t been done, which ones counted, what zones you’d not done, etc. I will likely complete Loremaster in Cataclysm. I’ve already gone back and done several zones, and have really enjoyed the new quest story arcs for the zones I’ve done.
I wish I’d worked on more alts during Wrath, but it really was a “golden age” for Marksman hunters, and figured enjoying it would be right up my alley. Looking back over the expansion, it’s arguable this is Blizzard’s best expansion yet.
What I loved:
- The ever-present antagonist in leveling from 70-80.
- Zone phasing — allowing deeper storytelling and more layers of lore.
- The Dungeon finder. No matter how many times I’ll complain about it, it’s made running instances leaps and bounds easier than messing with trade chat trying to put a group together.
- Chimera Shot. There I said it. I really liked the addition of Chimera shot to the Marksman hunter’s tool belt because it gave us a bit more versatility, not to mention a shot that hits like a truck. Hurray for being the go-to spec for Wrath.
What I hated:
- Spending a solid year in Icecrown Citadel. Really, I was tired of it after about May.
- Dalaran and all of its lag.
- Heroics were too easy. I’m looking forward to heroics in Cataclysm because they actually do offer a challenge.
- ToC. All varieties. This was truly a filler raid if I ever saw one, and lacked some serious depth if you ask me. I would have gladly spent more time in Ulduar working on Hard modes if it meant I could go directly to ICC.
- Gearscore. I know this isn’t something Blizzard did, or ever really condoned, but it’s been annoying, and frankly it’s just created a bunch of geared idiots, not necessarily forcing anyone to care about skill anymore.
- Challenging dungeons, and heroics of some of my favorites from way back. Like Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep.
- Guild leveling and perks. The more active your guild is, the faster you’ll be rewarded for your efforts. I love this.
- Deepholm. I loved this zone in Beta, and I can’t wait to go back and do the story again.
- Returning “home,” and seeing Azeroth effectively for the first time. I’m not an RPer — never claimed to be, but I can only imagine how excited some of the folks on RP servers are for being able to play out how their character is reacting to these drastic changes brought by Deathwing.
This is likely my last blog post before Cataclysm drops, so I’ll catch you all on the flipside!