- Name: Shannox, Rageface, and Riplimb
- Raid: Firelands
- Tanks Needed: 2
- Phases: 1
- Catch: Enrage mechanics, 2 adds, and stuff trying to eat your feet
- This strategy is for the normal encounter. Heroic Strategy found here.
Shannox is a one-phase encounter, but there is still a lot going on. Both dogs have their own abilities, and positioning is really important to handle the spear throw. This boss can be engaged nearly anywhere in the main area for Firelands, but there’s plenty of space in front of the Beth’tilac trash — just make sure you clear all of it, including the pats. You’ll need the space.
Let’s first talk about what each NPC can do in this encounter.
- Immolation Trap – Shannox launches a fiery trap at a random player’s location. The trap arms after 2 seconds, then detonates when either a player or one of Shannox’s pets steps over the trap. Immolation Trap inflicts 71250 to 78750 Fire damage, 19000 to 21000 Fire damage every 3 sec., and increases the target’s damage taken by 40% for 9 sec.
- Crystal Prison Trap – Shannox launches a prison trap at a random player’s location. The trap arms after 2 seconds, then detonates when either a player or one of Shannox’s pets steps over the trap. The Crystal Prison trap encases the target in a block of magma crystal, preventing all movement and any other action. Destroying the crystal prison frees a trapped player.
- Arcing Slash – Shannox inflicts 125% of normal melee damage in a 120 degree cone up to 10 yards in front of him, and inflicts Jagged Tear on his current target.
- Jagged Tear – Shannox’s Arcing Slash leaves a Jagged Tear that inflicts 3000 Physical damage every 3 sec. for 30 sec. This effect stacks.
- Hurl Spear – Shannox hurls his spear at a location near Riplimb. When the spear lands it inflicts 117000 to 123000 Physical damage to all enemies within 3 yards and 46250 to 53750 Fire damage to all enemies within 50 yards. The spear strike also triggers a cascade of molten eruptions around the impact location, inflicting 76000 to 84000 Fire damage to enemies caught in an eruption. Riplimb will then break off from combat, fetch the spear, and return it to Shannox.
- Frenzy – When the players defeat Riplimb or Rageface, Shannox enters a frenzy. This increases his Physical damage by 30% and attack speed by 30%. This effects stacks twice.
- Magma Rupture – Once Riplimb has been slain, Shannox drives his spear into the ground instead of hurling it. This attack inflicts 47500 to 52500 Fire damage and increases the Fire damage taken for all players by 40% for 1 min. The spear strike also triggers a cascade of molten eruptions around the impact location, inflicting 76000 to 84000 Fire damage to enemies caught in an eruption.
Riplimb is the tank-able dog.
- Limb Rip – Riplimb savagely bites his current target, inflicting 130% of normal melee damage and inflicting Jagged Tear.
- Jagged Tear – Riplimb’s Limb Rip eaves a Jagged Tear that inflicts 3000 Physical damage every 3 sec. for 30 sec. This effect stacks.
- Frenzied Devotion – Riplimb enters an unstoppable rage if he witnesses Shannox’s health reach 30%. This effect increases Riplimb’s damage dealt by 400%, attack speed by 200% and movement speed by 100%.
Rageface cannot be controlled, and darts about from enemy to enemy, changing targets periodically.
- Face Rage – Rageface leaps at a random player, stunning and knocking them to the ground. Rageface begins to viciously maul the player, inflicting 8000 Physical damage every 0.5 sec. and the damage dealt increases over time. While Rageface mauls the player, he is 50% more susceptible to critical strikes. Rageface will continue the mauling until his target is dead, or he receives a single attack that deals at least 30000 damage.
- Frenzied Devotion – Rageface enters an unstoppable rage if he witnesses Shannox’s health reach 30%. This effect increases Riplimb’s damage dealt by 400%, attack speed by 200% and movement speed by 100%.
So here’s how this fight goes. When you engage Shannox, you need to have your second tank pick up Riplimb, pulling him about 50-60 yards away from where you’re tanking Shannox. (See why you need the space?) Periodically Shannox will throw out traps, and it’s absolutely critical that your raid stay out of them. If there’s a choice between stepping on a Crystal trap or on an Immolation trap, take the immolation trap every time. Shannox will also throw a magma spire out, as always, fire is bad, especially when it tries to eat your feet.
The Crystal Traps, when triggered, trap the target gets locked down in a trap (like a hunter’s trap) and will need to be burned down if it’s a friendly target. Here’s the trick though, when Shannox hurls his spear, the goal will be to trap Riplimb in the trap on his way back to Shannox, allowing the Jagged tear debuffs on the tank to drop off.
Shannox will enrage when one dog dies, but it’s manageable. Just don’t kill both dogs at the same time.
So how do you deal with Rageface? Well, easiest way is to have your range focus on Rageface and burn him down to 0%. As I said, the enrage for Shannox is manageable, just make sure your healers are ready for it. The key to Rageface, to keep your raid from taking crazy amounts of damage from him, make sure your range can make 30k hits in 1 shot. Mages are excellent, as are Marksman Hunters (Aimed Shot). Survival can do it, but it’s not as easy.
When Rageface dies, target Shannox and burn him to around 35-40%, switch targets and burn down Rageface to 0%. All DPS should then switch back to Shannox and finish the burn phase. By this point, there’s an insane amount of traps on the ground, and the better prepared you are to kite the boss through clear areas, the easier your range will have it to avoid the traps all over the place.
What does a Hunter need to know?
Misdirect Shannox to your main tank – he can’t be taunted, so all extra threat will help. Then quickly change to Rageface, and burn him down. Watch your feet, you only have 2 seconds to get out of traps before they’re armed. If anyone happens to get locked in a crystal trap, make sure you’re switching quickly and getting them out. Save your cooldowns and potions for when both dogs are dead and you’re proceeding through the last burn phase on Shannox. This is your raid awareness check. The key here is staying out of stuff at your feet.
Hunter Loot from Shannox
Still having trouble? Check out Learn to Raid’s video.