I’m going to go through who drops what set, and what I had difficulty soloing or what we had trouble with as a duo, tier by tier. I will not recommend soloing or duoing any of the level 80 content. I’m sure it’s possible, but it’s easier if you have at least 3-4 people. Please also note that there are non-tier pieces that look like tier that might be easier to attain. Follow the Wowhead links to see what shares the same model.
I’ll cover awesome weapon skins for hunters in a later post, and I will maintain this in a page on my site going forward. (Transmogrification Guide: Hunter Tier)
Giantstalker (Tier 1): Molten Core
This set is exclusively from Molten Core, and 6 of the 8 pieces are found from bosses. The remainder come from trash drops (belt and bracers)
- Giantstalker’s Belt - Trash
- Giantstalker’s Boots - Gehennas
- Giantstalker’s Bracers - Trash
- Giantstalker’s Breastplate - Golemagg
- Giantstalker’s Epaulets - Sulfuron Harbinger
- Giantstalker’s Gloves - Shazzrah
- Giantstalker’s Helmet - Garr
- Giantstalker’s Leggings - Magmadar
This weekend I was lucky enough to see the drops for the shoulders in Molten Core, though one downside I’ve found with running this, is one class tends to be favored. I think I saw a full rogue set, and several paladin pieces. I snagged the bracers from the Auction House for about 150g.
You really shouldn’t have any issues soloing MC. The trickiest part I found was taking down the packs of core hounds that reignite if one dies too quickly. The trick to that is letting your AOE do all the work. Explosive traps, multi-shots, and you shouldn’t have any issues.
Dragonstalker (Tier 2): Blackwing Lair/Molten Core/Onyxia (pre-redux)
The only piece that can’t be gotten (the level 60 version anyway) is the helm, everything else is still fair game. It’s worth noting that they did add the helm back in with a level 80 item that mimics the tier 2 model.
- Dragonstalker’s Belt - Vaelastraz
- Dragonstalker’s Bracers - Razorgore
- Dragonstalker’s Breastplate - Nefarian (BWL)
- Dragonstalker’s Gauntlets - Ebonroc
- Dragonstalker’s Greaves - Lashlayer
- Dragonstalker’s Helm - Onyxia
- Dragonstalker’s Legguards - Ragnaros (MC)
- Dragonstalker’s Spaulders - Chromaggus
Cryptstalker (Tier 3): See Tier 7
This gear is no longer available since Naxx moved.
Demon Stalker (Tier 4): Karazhan/Gruul’s Lair/Magtheridon
I solo’d all of Kara up to Chess, and did Gruul with my husband. Mag was done in a group, but could easily be solo’d or done in a small team.
- Demon Stalker Gauntlets - Curator
- Demon Stalker Greathelm - Prince Malchezaar
- Demon Stalker Greaves - Gruul
- Demon Stalker Harness - Magtheridon
- Demon Stalker Shoulderguards - High King Maulgar
Kara was nice enough to drop gloves and helm for me (Curator and Prince). Both boss fights in Gruul’s lair and Mag dropped the remaining pieces, so I will be able to rock the fel fire shoulders if I want to on 4.3.
Gruul was a pansy by comparison to High King Maulgar for 2 people to take out. I was running with my turtle pet to tank anything and everything. The key to this fight is taking out the healer first, then shoot for the Warlock (who fears), after that it doesn’t matter, as long as Maulgar dies last. If you don’t have anyone who can heal with you, this might become even more difficult. We burned Heroism right off the bat just so that healer would drop really fast. I saved my Rapid Fire for the next mob, once he went down, it became infinitely easier.
Rift Stalker (Tier 5): Serpentshrine Cavern/The Eye
Hands down, this is my favorite Hunter tier, and unfortunately I never saw a single piece of it as I raided these instances before we moved on to Hyjal and Black Temple. SSK and TK were done as a duo — with the exception of Vashj and Kael’thas. Because of Kael’s MC ability, we brought in an additional Shaman, and Vashj we just left alone. Vashj posed a problem just because of the sheer surface area that needed to be covered. Two people covering a space that was designed to accommodate 25 just didn’t work. We ran into similar issues with Karathress, just not enough bodies. This would have been far easier with 4-5 people.
- Rift Stalker Hauberk - Kael’thas
- Rift Stalker Gauntlets - Leotheras the Blind
- Rift Stalker Helm - Lady Vashj
- Rift Stalker Leggings - Fathom-Lord Karathress
- Rift Stalker Mantle -
For our strategy with Kael, knowing that he MC’s after you take out his council for the second time, both Shaman popped their elementals, and I stayed at max range to hopefully resist the Mind Control. It worked, so I am now the proud owner of both shoulders and the chest piece for tier 5.
For Void Reaver, at least one person (likely you, hunter) will need to stay range to take the arcane blasts. Your best bet is to stay in Aspect of the Fox, and just run around in circles with the boss in the middle. Profit.
Gronnstalker (Tier 6): The Battle for Mount Hyjal/Black Temple/Sunwell
By no means would I recommend soloing Tier 6 content. I did this with a group of about 8, maybe 10. Hyjal will eat your raid alive if you don’t have enough AOE or range damage to deal with the trash waves, and Black Temple will go infinitely faster if you have a group together. (I had forgotten how big that place was)
- Gronnstalker’s Chestguard - Illidan
- Gronnstalker’s Gloves - Azgalor
- Gronnstalker’s Helmet - Archimonde
- Gronnstalker’s Leggings - Illidari Council
- Gronnstalker’s Spaulders - Mother Shahraz
- Gronnstalker’s Belt - Sunwell
- Gronnstalker’s Bracers - Sunwell
- Gronnstalker’s Boots - Sunwell
Cryptstalker (Tier 7): Naxxramas, Vault of Archavon, Obsidium Sanctum
This tier involves farming all of the tokens to purchase the set in Dalaran, and is not available to purchase with Valor/Justice points. Note that this is the 25-man version. The 10-man version is likely to be solo-able or done in a pair. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure it’s possible.
- Valorous Cryptstalker Tunic - Archavon, Gluth
- Valorous Cryptstalker Handguards - Archavon, Sartharion
- Valorous Cryptstalker Headpiece - Kel’Thuzad
- Valorous Cryptstalker Legguards - Archavon, Thaddius, Gluth
- Valorous Cryptstalker Spaulders - Loa’theb, Gluth
Scourgestalker (Tier 8): Ulduar, Vault of Archavon
This set can be partially purchased with Justice points, but for shoulders you will have to kill Yogg-saron. What better time than now to finish off that Ulduar drake?
- Conqueror’s Scourgestalker Tunic - 770 Justice Points, Dalaran Vendor
- Conqueror’s Scourgestalker Handguards - Emalon, Mimiron
- Conqueror’s Scourgestalker Headpiece - 770 Justice Points, Dalaran Vendor
- Conqueror’s Scourgestalker Legguards - Emalon, Freya
- Conqueror’s Scourgestalker Spaulders - Yogg-saron
Windrunner (Tier 9): Trial of the Champion, Vault of Archavon
This set will require you to run Trial of the Champion to get Trophies of the Crusade, but the plus side is that you can get most all pieces from Justice Points.
- Windrunner’s Tunic of Triumph - 1 trophy and 1,196 Justice Points
- Windrunner’s Handguards of Triumph - Koralon or 1 trophy and 717 Justice Points
- Windrunner’s Headpiece of Triumph - 1 trophy and 1,196 Justice Points
- Windrunner’s Legguards of Triumph - Koralon or 1 trophy and 1,196 Justice Points
- Windrunner’s Spaulders of Triumph - 1 trophy and 717 Justice Points
Ahn’Kahar (Tier 10): Icecrown Citadel, Vault of Archavon
Easily one of my favorite tiers, but then again, I tend to love the raids at the end of an expansion in general. There are 3 levels of this gear, all with different coloration, so do some research into what color you might want. If you’re interested in the purple, you’ll need to run 25-man ICC for some tokens, but remember you’ll also need to have already purchased the justice points versions.
- Ahn’Kahar Blood Hunter’s Handguards - Toravon or 695 Justice Points
- Ahn’Kahar Blood Hunter’s Headpiece - 1,100 Justice Points
- Ahn’Kahar Blood Hunter’s Legguards - Toravon or 1,100 Justice Points
- Ahn’Kahar Blood Hunter’s Spaulders - 695 Justice Points
- Ahn’Kahar Blood Hunter’s Tunic - 1,100 Justice Points
Lightning Charged (Tier 11): Bastion of Twilight, Blackwing Descent, Baradin Hold
Love the murloc head. Most current raiders will likely have this set already, and if you want to keep looking like an undead murloc ate your head, this is worth holding on to.
- Lightning-Charged Spaulders - Cho’gall
- Lightning-Charged Legguards - Argaloth or 2200 Justice Points
- Lightning-Charged Headguard - Nefarian
- Lightning-Charged Gloves - Argaloth or 1650 Justice Points
- Lightning-Charged Tunic - 2200 Justice Points
Flamewaker (Tier 12): Firelands, Baradin Hold
This is one of the better looking Hunter sets in my opinion.
- Flamewaker’s Gloves - Occu’thar or 1650 Valor Points (until 4.3)
- Flamewaker’s Headguard - Ragnaros
- Flamewaker’s Legguards - Occu’thar or 2,200 Valor Points (until 4.3)
- Flamewaker’s Spaulders - Majordomo Staghelm
- Flamewaker’s Tunic - 2,200 Valor Points (until 4.3)